Sunday September 15th 12 noon:
Mass & Flag Raising at Memorial
What: Flag Raising at The Irish Memorial
When: September 15th at 12 noon
Join us at The Irish Memorial on September 15th 12 noon for our quarterly Flag Raising Ceremony followed by Mass.
This special ceremony only happens 4 times a year. The Memorial makes it possible for individuals and groups to host the changing of the flags. Those that have had the honor of taking part find a renewed sense of pride and solidarity with their fellow countrymen and all immigrants that have made that difficult decision to leave another country and find a new life in America.
The Flag Raising Ceremony
• For the ceremony, The Irish Memorial is transformed for participants and for the public. Mass is celebrated in the surroundings of the Memorial (seating is available).
• The second stage is the flag raising where the honorees take part. First, the US National Anthem is sung and the existing American flag is taken down by the honorees that helped to raise the flag at the last ceremony, with help from Irish Memorial staff. It is then folded and presented to these honorees.
• Then the new flag is unfolded and raised by the new honorees.
• Next, the Irish national anthem is sung and then the existing flag lowered by the honorees from the last ceremony, with help from Irish Memorial staff. It is then folded and presented to these honorees.
• Then the new flag is unfolded and raised by the new honorees. (They will return to lower their flags at the next flag raising ceremony in December).
Our Flag Raising group on September 15th will be The Irish American Chamber of Commerce. They are celebrating their 20th Anniversary, and are sponsoring the September Flag Raising Ceremony at Philadelphia’s Irish Memorial. They are very excited and honored to participate. We will feature pictures and stories from their day on our site after the event!
Thank you to The Hennelly – Mac Cormack family who will be presented with the flags that they will first retire.
If you are interested in participating in a future flag raising ceremony contact [email protected].